Dedicate three running sessions a week
- On rest days, do low impact activities – try a spin class.
- Five minutes’ warm-up before running – fast walk or light jog.
- Stretch for 5-7 minutes after, focus on legs.
Weeks 1 and 2
- Treadmill sprint intervals: 30 second sprint, 30 second walk.
- Four sets of 1km each – rest between each 1:1 (rest for the same time as you ran).
- Run for 15 minutes, then return at a faster time.
Weeks 3 and 4
- 10-minute flat jog, 20 minutes on hills or stairs, 10-minute flat jog.
- Five sets of 1km each – rest between each 1:2 (rest for half the time as you ran).
- Run for 5-7 km. Record your time.
- Treadmill sprint intervals: 35 second sprint, 25 second rest.
- Six sets of 1km each – rest between each 1:2.
- Run for 8-10 km, include hills. Record your time. Stretch for 10 minutes.
- Jog for 20 minutes, rest for one minute, then return to start.
- Five sets of 1km each – rest between each for 60 seconds.
- Run for 10-14 km, include hills. Record your time. Stretch for 10 minutes.
- De-training recovery week
- Take your last run three days before the City2Surf and run no more than 5 km.